The Pikkolo carrier is a unique blend of mei tai and buckle carrier that has an apron-style foldover unpadded waistband, crossable straps, and a cinching mechanism that allows you to narrow the base of the carrier. The folded over waistband and cinched body make the carrier short and narrow enough to be used from birth without a separate insert. As your baby grows, widen the seat, and add the included Babywearing Support Belt...you get a taller carrier with more support. The expanded configuration with Babywearing Belt works great for carrying toddlers up to 40 lbs.
The versatile Pikkolo allows for several different carrying positions
- Front facing in, with carrier base cinched narrow - perfect for newborns and tiny babies.
- Front facing in, with carrier base wide - for slightly older babies
- Front facing out, with carrier base narrow - for babies up to 16 lbs. with head control
- Front carries can be used with either straight (backpack-style) or crossed straps
- Hip carry
- Back carry (backpack straps)
- Prefer a shorter carrier for smaller babies? You've got it with the default apron-style foldover waistband. Then, when baby gets taller, unfold the bottom of the carrier and add the Babywearing Support Belt for several extra inches in carrier body height.
Pikkolo Product Details
What makes the pikkolo carrier different?
- NO INFANT INSERT REQUIRED
- memory foam in the shoulder straps means the strap is not bulky while being super-cushy and supportive
- tapered shoulder strap shape is more comfortable when you back carry (less bulk under your arm)
- dual-adjustable buckles mean you never have to pull up and back to tighten your straps
- adjustable base allows you cinch the carrier width to perfectly fit your baby from day one and enables an ergonomic facing forward carry
- 4 carrying positions take you from newborn to toddler (8 to 40 lbs.)
- straps cross in an X on your back in front carry for maximum comfort and ease of use
- All Pikkolo carriers include sleeping hood, chest strap and instruction manual. The Babywearing Belt is recommended for use with babies over 16 pounds as an optional accessory. It is a padded waistbelt sleeve that fits over the apron-style waistband on your Pikkolo and converts it to a padded waistband that is worn on top of the hips. The addition of the Babywearing Belt will also make your Pikkolo carrier about 2-3 inches taller, great for bigger babies.
- Pikkolos are 100% cotton, exclusive of trim. Brushed twill cotton fabric is feather-soft, feels wonderful against the skin.
- The Pikkolo has a cinching mechanism on either side of the carrier body to narrow the carrier. You can then comfortably wear your baby in front facing out. The baby is held in a healthy semi-seated position which does not place as much pressure on the crotch and spine of the baby as a Baby Bjorn does. It's not so good for *your* back after about 15-17 pounds though, so be careful.
- The ability to cinch the carrier body also makes it good for wearing small babies. A narrower cinched carrier body means that a small baby will not have to spread his legs very wide while riding.
- Contoured sleeping hood in soft cotton with elastic along sides for a better fit and more support to little sleeping heads. Tucks into its own pocket for storage
- Unstructured apron-style waistband makes it possible to precisely adjust the carrier's fit. Fits both short-waisted and long-waisted body types. This type of waistband is meant to be worn snugly around your natural waist, not loose/low on top of the hips like padded waistbands. Won't pull your pants down!
- Very broad fit range! Tested to fit wearers between 4'10" and 6'2". One wearer said that she was able to adjust the Pikkolo to fit her 7 year old, 45 pound daughter (who wanted to carry a younger child).
- All buckles are dual-adjustable and adjust both ways, for optimal fit and ease of adjustment. You can pull the straps from either side of the buckle, as well as change the location of the buckle itself.
- Shoulder straps are padded with deluxe memory foam (the same kind found in expensive Tempurpedic mattresses). It is slim-profile, but quite cushy and shock-absorbent. As the foam becomes warmed by your body heat, it shapes itself to your shoulders for a glove-like fit.
- Be warned that the shoulder straps are very *wide* on the Pikkolo, which is not necessarily the most comfortable for petite wearers with narrow shoulders.
- This is a great carrier for plus size moms with apple-shaped bodies. The unstructured waistband feels very comfortable and does not dig in. Since it is worn higher on the body, it tends to fit plus-sized moms a bit better, since many plus-sized moms tend to have higher waists, closer to their ribs.
- Recommended care: wash on gentle cycle in cold water with a mild detergent. Dry on low until just damp, then hang to finish drying in well ventilated area. Spot clean when needed.
- PLEASE ADD A BABYWEARING BELT if your baby is over 16 pounds. This will make the carrier taller, and will provide extra support in the form of a padded waistband sleeve.