The Boba 4G distinguishes itself from other soft structured carriers with an elegant design that truly fits newborns all the way to toddlers, with no need to purchase additional accessories or inserts. We also love it for its angled shoulder straps, slim profile, purse holders on both shoulders, zip pockets, optional footstraps, and easy/intuitive newborn configuration.
- Front and back carry (no front facing out or hip carry)
- Comfortably fits heights 5'0" - 6'3" (though it actually depends on your torso height, not your overall height including legs)
- Ingeniously converts to a newborn infant carrier (7-10 lbs.) with the included Insert, which can be modified to fit bigger babies 11-15 pounds as well. The newborn and small baby configurations allow for a seamless transition from newborn all the way through toddlerhood. Many carriers claim to do this, but VERY FEW deliver. I can honestly say that the Boba 4G has one of the best designs I've seen, that allows it to work well with all ages...not easy to do!
- Comes in both Organic and Conventional Cotton versions.
- Waistband range: 25" - 58", no extenders required
- Angled shoulder straps: they bow in at the collarbone and make for a very comfortable fit in this area. Most other carriers have straight up and down shoulder straps, the angled Boba straps are a nice touch.
- Removable and adjustable sleeping hood fits different sized children.
- Removable foot straps allow long-legged older toddlers to ride with full leg support and proper ergonomic seating position (knees at same height as hips). You will likely never need them unless you have a much older child, but for novelty value they are pretty cool.
- Elastic bands neatly roll up strap ends and keep them tidy.
- The shoulder straps are 20 inches and extend up to 40 inches long.
- Easily adjustable chest strap, no struggling!
- Purse straps: Handy if you wear a purse with a shoulder strap, these will keep your purse on your shoulder while wearing a carrier at the same time.
- Carrier body height: 15.7"
- Waistbelt height: 5.1"
- Seat width: 13.5"
- Made in China/Taiwan in a carefully chosen and monitored factory with fair labor standards and low environmental impact.
- Multiple pockets for on-the-go storage
- High density waist and shoulder strap foam
- Machine washable: Wash on gentle cycle in cold water with a mild detergent. Hang to dry overnight in well ventilated area, or dry in machine on low until just damp, then remove and hang dry to finish. Spot clean dirty areas whenever possible with a clean damp sponge instead of machine washing. This will enable you to keep your Boba looking its best!
2G vs. 3G vs. 4G?
The current model is the Boba 4G.
- 2G was strictly for use with toddlers ages 10 months and up
- 3G introduced a newborn configuration that allowed it to be used with littler babies by snapping the bottom of the carrier under (to make the carrier shorter), reversing the buckles on the waistband, and then using the body of the carrier as a pouch, with a cinching adjuster inside a pocket on the top of the carrier body. It is OK, but not great. If you are past the point of needing an insert though (your baby is 4+ months), then you can save money by buying the 3G version, because it's still a good toddler carrier.
- 4G has greatly improved upon the 3G's newborn configuration. Instead of making the carrier shorter, the 4G has an removable cushion insert at the bottom of the carrier body that can be snapped two different ways to lift up and support little babies so that they can safely use the Boba.
I love this new design, it is very versatile and easy to use, and provides a true newborn and small baby solution for what is basically a toddler carrier. You can snap the cushion into a higher, narrower position for babies 7-10 lbs., and into a lower M shape for babies 11-15 lbs.
Boba 4G Newborn Configuration
Boba Insert Position #1 (for babies 7-10lbs.)
If your baby is 7-10lbs, snap the insert in half and attach it to the bottom of the carrier. Your baby's legs should be in the fetal tuck around the Boba Insert, with your baby more or less sitting on top of the cushion inside the Boba. If your baby's head is halfway out of the carrier, use Boba Insert Position #2 instead.
Boba Insert Position #2 (for babies 10-15lbs.)
If your baby is 10-15lbs, please use Boba Insert Position #2. Your baby’s legs should be in an M position around the opened Boba Insert.
Adjust the shoulder straps so that your baby is fully supported by the carrier. Please make sure to tighten the side adjustments to prevent your baby from slumping and to provide improved back support for your baby.
If additional head support is needed, snap the hood across to the opposite shoulder strap. Your baby's head should be resting on your chest and facing either left or right.
What else is new in the 4G Boba, besides this nifty new newborn insert?
- The carrier body/seat is 1 inch wider in the 4G, to give extra support for older children.
- The padding on the shoulder straps has been extended 1 inch for extra comfort.
- The sleeping hood on the carrier is now only 1 layer of fabric as some users found 2 layers to be too warm in hot weather.
- The support cinch strap on the inside of the hood pouch was removed, however, users who still want extra neck support can cross one strap on the sleeping hood to the other shoulder to create extra support needed.
Overall, a very comfortable and well-designed carrier. Highly recommended!